Relationships and engagement
Since the late 1800s, the RCMP has relied on the help of Indigenous Peoples and communities. This includes support from Indigenous leaders, scouts, guides, interpreters and Special Constables. The RCMP's relationship with Indigenous Peoples remains a priority, and continues to evolve on the path towards reconciliation.
Delivering culturally aware and engaged police services helps us to build relationships, trust and partnerships, and ensure we deliver the highest quality services to the Indigenous communities and people we serve.
Listening to Indigenous voices
Listening to Indigenous voices and incorporating their perspectives is essential. We engage with Indigenous Elders, communities, youth advocates, academics and advisory bodies across Canada in various forums.
We're grateful for the advice and perspectives that are provided by:
- the Commissioner's National Indigenous Advisory Committee
- a national Indigenous advisory committee that provides input on violence prevention and operational policy
- a council of Elders
- Commanding Officer Indigenous advisory committees who collaborate with Indigenous people to understand what they expect of the RCMP in their jurisdictions
- the RCMP National Youth Advisory Committee
- Métis coordinators in five provinces/territories, who work with Métis communities
- the internal RCMP Reconciliation Working Group
- Community Consultative Groups in communities that have Community Tripartite Agreements under the First Nation Policing Program
- RCMP Indigenous employees
We also engage with national Indigenous organizations such as:
- Assembly of First Nations
- Inuit Tapiriit Kanatami
- Métis National Council
- Pauktuutit Inuit Women of Canada
- National Association of Friendship Centres
- Native Women's Association of Canada
- Congress of Aboriginal Peoples
Our commitment to a diverse workforce
We're committed to a diverse workforce, and to supporting our more than 1,900 Indigenous employees. Indigenous employees bring their unique perspectives and contributions to their work. They help ensure our programs and policies are culturally relevant.
Video: Diversity in our workforce - Highlighting Indigenous RCMP employees
- Date modified: