For victims of sexual assault

If the sexual assault recently occurred, is in progress, or you are in need of immediate medical/policing assistance, please call 9-1-1.

Victims or survivors of sexual violence can access Alberta's One Line for Sexual Violence at 1-866-403-8000 which offers free text, call and chat to learn more information about available supports, police reporting options and the criminal justice process. Visit the Association of Alberta Sexual Assault Services (AASAS) to access the free online chat feature.

If you are unsure about reporting to the police immediately there are several options available throughout the Province of Alberta. These options are client-centered, meaning that the client is the person directing the process and making the decisions about what option they would like to pursue.

Third Option Evidence Collection

The Third Option Evidence Collection program is a victim support program provided by Alberta Health Services and community-based victim service agencies. A person who is unsure about whether or not they want to report to the police a recent sexual assault, can attend a participating health centre to speak with a trauma-informed trained and qualified health professional about their medical options.

  • A specially trained physician or nurse, also called a Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner or SANE can conduct a forensic medical exam and collect potential forensic evidence through a Sexual Assault Evidence Kit (SAEK).
  • The SAEK is stored confidently and your information is not provided to the police unless you consent to having the police contact you.
  • The SAEK can be stored for up to a year to allow you time to engage with other support services and make an informed choice about whether a formal police investigation is the right option for you.

Note: The Third Option Evidence Collection program is currently available in Lethbridge, Calgary, Red Deer and the Edmonton-zone hospitals.

Supportive Reporting Program

The Alberta RCMP partners with victim advocates to arrange for a trauma-informed police officer to meet clients at a non-police location for the process of making a report. There are two types of victim advocates that are available to support any victim of assault.

  • Police-based victim services are usually provided following a victim's first contact with the police. While these victim service agencies may be located in police detachments, they are not always police employees. In many cases, police may refer the victim to victim services or advise victim services to make contact with the victim. Many police-based victim services have a coordinator and trained volunteers.
  • Community-based victim services provide direct services to victims and receive funding either in whole or in part by the provincial and/or federal government responsible for criminal justice matters.

Police work with community based victim advocates to understand the difficulties and uncertainties that a person can have about coming forward to the police with a sexual assault complaint. When attending a local community-based sexual assault centre, you may be able to have an advocate support you through your reporting to the police. Currently the Supportive Reporting Program is offered by Red Deer RCMP in partnership with Central Alberta Sexual Assault Support Centre (CASASC) and Women's Outreach and by the Strathcona RCMP detachment in partnership with Saffron Centre. Steps are being taken to expand this program to other participating community sexual assault centres.


Additional reference and support resources

Specialized police and court support programs in Alberta

Date modified: