July 8th, 2020
On July 8th Yukon RCMP's Crime Reduction Unit (CRU) executed a search warrant at a residence in the Kopper King area of Whitehorse. Upon entry, CRU officers arrested Robert Savard, 47. The following was seized from the residence:
- An amount of suspected cocaine hydrochloride;
- An amount of suspected crack cocaine;
- Prescription pills;
- A large sum of cash;
- Packaging materials.
Mr. Savard is charged with the following under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA):
- Trafficking Cocaine;
- Possession of Cocaine for the Purpose of Trafficking;
- Possession of Codeine for the Purpose of Trafficking.
He is also charged with the following under the Criminal Code (CC):
- Resist/Willfully Obstructing a Peace Officer;
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime.
Robert Savard has been released by the Territorial Court of the Yukon on conditions and will appear in court again on July 29th, 2020.
July 14th, 2020
On July 14th, Whitehorse Detachment officers responded to a complainant who had observed a vehicle that had been reported as stolen. Officers attended a residence near Porter Creek, seized the vehicle, and arrested Len McGinnis, 55.
The investigation led to a search warrant being executed by CRU at McGinnis' residence and the following was seized:
- An amount of a suspected controlled substance;
- Modified rifle magazines that illegally increased ammunition capacity;
- A semi-automatic rifle loaded with the modified magazines;
Len McGinnis is charged with the following under the Criminal Code:
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime over $5000;
- Two counts of Weapons Possession Contrary to Order;
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Device;
- Unsafe Storage of Firearms;
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose.
Mr. McGinnis was already prohibited from owning any firearms prior to police actions. The investigation is ongoing and further charges are being contemplated. Mr. McGinnis was released by the Territorial Court of the Yukon on conditions and will next appear in court on July 29th, 2020.