How do I get a criminal record check?
This information is for people applying for a criminal record check using fingerprints.
Local police service
Visit your local police service to take your fingerprints and to process your application for a certified criminal record check or a vulnerable sector check. Some police services may direct you to an accredited fingerprint company.
If you require a vulnerable sector check, you must go to your local police service.
Accredited fingerprinting companies
Visit a fingerprinting company accredited by the RCMP to process your application for a certified criminal record check.
Accredited fingerprinting companies do not provide vulnerable sector checks.
You can submit an application for a certified criminal record check from outside of Canada. First you have to get your fingerprints taken and then you have to submit your application through an accredited fingerprint company.
Step 1: Contact an authorized agency to get a paper copy of your fingerprints
Contact an authorized agency in the country in which you are situated and request a paper copy of your fingerprints.
Examples of authorized agencies:
- police services
- embassies / consulates of foreign governments (i.e. not Canadian government embassies/consulates) government departments
- notaries of the public
- foreign private fingerprinting company that is subject to a memorandum of understanding with an accredited Canadian private fingerprinting company
- foreign private fingerprinting company that is subject to a memorandum of understanding with a local police service or government department
Make sure the paper copy of your fingerprints has:
- prints of all ten fingers taken in black ink
- name and address of the authorized agency that you visited
- signature and name of the official who took your fingerprints
Step 2: Contact an accredited fingerprint company in Canada to complete the application process
Contact an accredited company within Canada to convert your paper fingerprint form to a digital format. The accredited company will submit your application to Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services electronically.
Do not mail these fingerprints or your application directly to the RCMP's CCRTIS as it will not be accepted.
- Date modified: