Processing times and fees
Effective September 22, 2022, the RCMP is waiving the administrative fee(s) for fingerprint services in support of the provincial/territorial legal name-change process for residential school Survivors and their descendants when reclaiming their Indigenous names.
The following timeframes refer to approximate processing times for all electronic fingerprint submissions received by the RCMP's Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services (CCRTIS).
If manual processing is involved and/or if there is a possible match to a criminal record
120 business days
In some cases more time may be required due to the submission of incomplete information or in an effort to clarify parts of the application with local police. This process ensures the information that is released by CCRTIS is complete and accurate.
If there is NO match to a criminal record
3 business days or less
The results are mailed to the address provided and extra time should be allowed for delivery by Canada Post.
Even if you submit your fingerprints electronically, there may still be manual processes involved. Processing times vary depending on different factors such as the number of applications received at different times of the year, the amount of manual processing related to your application and/or the reason for the application.
- Contact CCRTIS only if processing times are longer than indicated.
- Allow extra time for delivery by Canada Post.
- Requests are completed in the order received.
- The results of a certified criminal record check are mailed to the address that was provided.
A certified criminal record check – also known as a fingerprint-based criminal record check – may require local and/or federal processing fees.
- Local service fees
Local fees are determined by the local police agency or the accredited fingerprinting agency taking your fingerprints. Contact them directly if you would like more information about fees they charge. The fee charged by your local police is in addition to the federal fee.
- Federal processing fees:
The federal processing fee is CDN$ 25 for each criminal record check, however, the federal fee is waived in some cases (see the table below). The federal fee is collected by the police service or accredited fingerprint company taking your fingerprints. The federal fee is in addition to fees charged by your local police or accredited company.
New The $25 fee will be waived for residential school Survivors and their descendants seeking to reclaim their Indigenous name(s). Eligible applicants must complete a written request at the time of fingerprinting for the fee(s) to be waived. Written request forms will also be available at fingerprinting service locations.
- You are adopting a child in Canada or overseas
- You are traveling and need a visa, a U.S. Entry Waiver, or a border crossing document
- You are applying for a job with a private business or a municipal/provincial/territorial government
- You are applying for a record suspension (formerly pardon)
- You are applying for student placement
- You are applying for a name change
- You are living in a house where everyone requires a vulnerable sector check (e.g. home day care centre)
- You are sponsoring a family member to come to Canada
- New You are a residential school Survivor or their descendant applying to your province or territory to reclaim your Indigenous name(s)
- You are applying for Canadian citizenship
- You are applying to immigrate to Canada
- You are applying for a job in the federal government (as requested by the departmental security officer)
- You are applying to join a Canadian police force (as requested by the police force)
- You are making a request under the Privacy Act
- You are applying to do volunteer work in Canada
Volunteering in Canada
Volunteer work is charitable work where individuals are not paid or compensated for expenses. It does not include volunteer work that is ordered by a court or a judicial body. To have the federal processing fee waived, you must provide the agency conducting the check a letter from the volunteer organization with the following information:
- The name and address of the organization that requested the check
- Your name
- The reason for the check (e.g. coach)
- A statement that you will not be paid for your work nor compensated for any expenses
- Date modified: