Eskasoni RCMP has charged a man with firearms offences after an incident in Eskasoni.
On March 21, 2023, at approximately 10:20 p.m., Eskasoni RCMP received a report of a disturbance at a home on Canal Dr. in Eskasoni. RCMP officers learned that a man, involved in an altercation with a woman, had left the home with a firearm in a black backpack. RCMP officers quickly located the man at another home on Canal Dr. and safely arrested him.
With assistance from Cape Breton Regional Police Service Canine Unit, the backpack, firearm and ammunition, were located in the woods near John Pauls Ln.
As the investigation progressed, RCMP officers learned that the man had assaulted the woman prior to this incident.
Dawson Alexander Bernard, 23, of We'koqma'q, has been charged with:
- Forcible Entry;
- Careless Use of a Firearm;
- Possession of a Weapon for a Dangerous Purpose;
- Carrying a Concealed Weapon;
- Unauthorized Possession of a Firearm;
- Unauthorized Possession of a Prohibited Weapon or Restricted Weapon;
- Possession of a Firearm While Knowing Possession is Unauthorized;
- Possession of Prohibited Weapon, Device or Ammunition Knowing its Possession is Unauthorized;
- Possession of a Firearm Contrary to a Prohibition Order;
- Failure to Comply with an Undertaking (two counts).
Bernard was remanded in custody and he will appear in Sydney Provincial Court today.
File #: 2023-373726