Cyclists in Dieppe, Moncton and Riverview now have a new tool to help protect their bicycles. The Codiac Regional RCMP has partnered with 529 Garage, a bicycle theft prevention mobile app, to provide its services to people in the Greater Moncton area. Codiac Regional RCMP is the first police service in the Atlantic region to partner with 529 Garage.
"Many people who report their bikes lost or stolen don't have the bicycle serial number documented," said Cst. Christy Elliott, a member with the Codiac Regional RCMP Community Policing Unit. "The 529 Garage app is a simple way to register your bike with the serial number and upload pictures. When someone buys a used bike, they can also confirm it's legitimately owned by the person selling it."
To register for 529 Garage:
- Download the 529 Garage mobile app and create a free account. The app is available in English and French for Android and iOS mobile devices.
- Register your bicycle by adding photos and some basic information, such as the serial number, make and model.
- Once registration is complete, it is recommended to purchase a 529 Garage shield sticker to the bicycle. This tamper-evident sticker has a unique identification number and is a strong deterrent to thieves.
Members of the Codiac Regional RCMP, with assistance from the Moncton Public Safety Advisory Committee, will be available at the following events to help cyclists register their bikes, and to give out free 529 Garage stickers. Please bring the bicycle to the event to complete the registration process.
- May 29, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.: outside Moncton City Hall, 655 Main Street
- June 5, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Dieppe Market, 232 Gauvin Road
- June 19, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Riverview, Caseley Park, 553 Bradford West Road
- June 26, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Dieppe, Rotary St. Anselm Park, 505 Melanson Road
- July 3, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Moncton, municipal parking lot next to La Bikery Cooperative, 120 Assomption Boulevard
Please note: all registration events will follow the New Brunswick Provincial Pandemic Coordination Plan related to public events.
"If a 529 Garage registered bicycle is stolen, its owner can trigger an alert using the mobile app. A notification is sent to all 529 Garage users in the area," says Cst. Elliott. "If someone sees the bicycle, they can make a report in the app to identify its location. Once declared stolen on 529 Garage app, a bicycle will also become more difficult for thieves to resell, as buyers and the police are able to find out the status of the bike by checking the app."
A registered bicycle also assists Codiac Regional RCMP in returning a recovered stolen bike with its rightful owner.
To learn more about 529 Garage, visit project529.com.