On Nov. 13 2020, Wetaskiwin RCMP Crime Reduction Unit (CRU) began conducting an investigation into drug trafficking at a residence within the City of Wetaskiwin. Throughout the investigation it was learned that the suspect was also involved in drug trafficking within the community of Maskwacis. As a result of the investigation on Friday, Nov. 20 2020, members of the Wetaskiwin RCMP CRU, General Duty, General Investigative Section (GIS), and Maskwacis RCMP GIS Members executed a search warrant at a residence within the City of Wetaskiwin. During the search, police located and seized:
- 65.2g of Methamphetamine
- 22.5g of Fentanyl
- 4.0g of Cocaine
- 0.7g of Carfentanyl
- 30 Lorazepam pills
- .300 rifle
- Multiple rounds of ammunition
The estimated street value of the drugs seized was substantial.
39-year-old male of Wetaskiwin Alta., has been charged with 21 criminal code offences:
- Possession for the purpose of trafficking (x4)
- Possession of property obtained by crime for the purpose of trafficking
- Possession of a firearm or prohibited weapon while unauthorized (x3)
- Possession of a prohibited weapon while in a motor vehicle
- Carrying a concealed weapon
- Fail to comply with a weapons prohibition (x8)
- Fail to comply with a release order (x3)
The importance of intelligence sharing between neighbouring detachments is key, as crime has no borders. This is a significant seizure of illegal drugs that will not be distributed into our communities. Wetaskiwin RCMP and Maskwacis RCMP are proud to work together, with the overall goal of making both our communities safer.
The 39-year-old male was brought for a Judicial Interim Release hearing and was remanded into custody. He is scheduled to appear in Wetaskiwin Provincial Court, on Tuesday, Nov. 24 2020 at 8:30 a.m.