On Sept. 18, 2019, St Paul RCMP, Eastern Alberta District Rural Crime Reduction Unit (EADRCRU) and the Eastern Alberta District Criminal Intelligence Unit joined forces to executed a search warrant in Saddle Lake.
After conducting an investigation into illegal activity at a rural property in Saddle Lake, police executed a search warrant and arrested two males. The search of the property resulted in the seizure of a loaded handgun, shotgun, rifles and ammunition. Also seized was approximately 118 grams of suspected cocaine, 83 grams of suspected methamphetamine, 27 grams of suspected fentanyl and Canadian currency.
"Intelligence led investigations and partnerships with detachments is key to our successful operations," said Constable Guillaume Wilson (EADRCRU). "We have removed a handgun off the street, not to mention a significant amount of drugs." "We will continue to disrupt the sale of illicit drugs that harm our communities."
A 35-year-old male and a 43-year-old male both of Saddle Lake were charged with several criminal offences including:
- Possession of a controlled substance for the purpose of trafficking (x3)
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm
- Possession of a firearm knowing it's possession is unauthorized (x2)
- Careless use of a firearm
- Unauthorized possession of a firearm (x4)
- Possession of a restricted firearm with ammunition (x2)
- Possession of a weapon obtained by crime
- Possession of a weapon contrary to an order
The 43-year-old male was also wanted on an outstanding probation warrant at the time of his arrest.
The two accused were remanded into custody and will be appearing in Vegreville provincial court on September 23, 2019.