We are currently experiencing much higher call volumes than usual and are responding to a higher number of requests. As a result, you should expect longer wait times when calling the Contact Centre. We appreciate your patience as we work to respond to incoming requests.
In accordance with the Firearms Act, the Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) oversees firearms licences and registration, maintains national firearm safety training standards, assists law enforcement agencies and aims to enhance public safety. Firearms in Canada continue to be regulated by the Firearms Act and Part III of the Criminal Code.
Information about requirements for firearms licences, including exceptions in certain circumstances, for individuals and businesses
Information about importing and exporting firearms, and ammunition
Information about types of firearms and firearm registration requirements for restricted and prohibited firearms
Information about the requirements for buying, selling and transferring firearms
Information about firearms safety training and safe practices for storing, transporting and displaying firearms
Information for executors of estates and heirs of firearms
Shooting clubs and ranges – Information about design guidelines and sound requirements
Firearms in Canada fall into three different classes: non-restricted, restricted, and prohibited
- New firearms licence cards
- You can now apply for a new firearms licence online
- On October 21, 2022, the Government of Canada announced changes to handgun regulations. Get more information on how these changes may affect you.
- Global Affairs Canada has recently changed its policy on the importation of handguns into Canada
- On May 30, 2022, the Government of Canada announced further firearms-related measures. Get more information on the measures announced.
- What you need to know about licence verification and business record keeping (former Bill C-71)
- Changes to our service fees effective March 31, 2022
- On May 1, 2020, the Government of Canada reclassified certain firearms and devices as prohibited. Get more information on the prohibition
- Date modified: