Management of the RCMP Disciplinary Process 2009-2010 Annual Report
Ministerial Directive on the RCMP Disciplinary Process
- This Directive provides ministerial direction to the Commissioner of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) with respect to standardizing the application and enhancing the transparency of the disciplinary process set out in the RCMP Act.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- As per subsection 5(1) of the RCMP Act, the control and management of the RCMP, and all matters connected therewith, is the responsibility of the Commissioner of the RCMP, under the direction of the Minister of Public Safety.
- To promote compliance and accountability, the Commissioner will ensure that comprehensive records of all disciplinary files are maintained and that these files are monitored on an ongoing basis.
- To enhance accountability, the Commissioner will ensure there is effective coordination and efficient administration of the RCMP disciplinary system.
- The Commissioner will ensure that an annual report on the management of the disciplinary process is provided to the Minister. The report is to be in a format that is suitable for public release in its entirety. The release of the report is at the discretion of the Minister.
- The Commissioner will ensure that nationally consistent policies and protocols are in place and updated when necessary to inform members of the requirements and procedures associated with the disciplinary process. The Commissioner will also ensure that regular training is provided to appropirate RCMP staff to promote awareness of and compliance with such requirements and procedures.
- In addition to the annual report, as part of the accountability process, a designated representative of the Commissioner will, having given due regard to legal and operational consideratrions, inform the Minister in a timely manner of matters of a significant nature pertaining to the disciplinary process.