The national program of community bands of pipes & drums seeks to benefit the community through its music and performance repertoire and to support the RCMP on formal and ceremonial occasions.
Please contact us through the band web site closest to you, or the national mailbox for composite band engagements.
Our local bands perform in support of community endeavours, including:
- charity fundraisers,
- special interest group performances (hospitals, schools, retirement homes),
- sport and cultural awards ceremonies,
- fairs, festivals and parades,
- memorial services, and
- state and official occasions.
The bands’ performance repertoire includes:
- full regimental band,
- show band with choreographed highland dance accompaniment, where/when available,
- small groups/ensembles, and
- solo pipers.
Our national program may be called upon to form a composite band, comprised of its constituent bands, to participate in support of national and international performance venues at the pleasure of the RCMP’s National Headquarters, Strategic Partnerships and Heritage Branch. Our RCMP highland dancers have become a sought-after element of both local and composite band performances.
Consider joining us if you are an accomplished piper, drummer or dancer. Please contact the band closest to you.
Facts & Background
- The bands of the national program are comprised of RCMP members, employees and citizen volunteers.
- The first of the bands, based in Edmonton, Alberta, was formed in 1992 with the support of its provincial commanding officer. They wore the MacLeod of Harris tartan in honour of one of the Force’s first commissioners, James Farquharson MacLeod.
- In the spring of 1997, as part of its 125th anniversary celebrations, the RCMP formed a “Tartan Committee” to design a unique tartan for the RCMP, to consider orders of dress for RCMP pipers and drummers, and to make recommendations on its findings to the Commissioner.
- In April, 1998, the Commissioner approved both the RCMP Tartan and band uniform.
- There are now seven RCMP community bands formed across Canada, from west to east: Vancouver, Edmonton, Regina, Ottawa, Montreal, Moncton, and Halifax.