Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Common menu bar links

"O" Division Fact Sheet

Our Motto "Maintiens le droit"

The adoption of a French motto, "Maintiens le droit" (defending the law), gave the badge a bilingual character from the very beginning. The exact origin of this motto, however, is not known. At first, the word "Maintiens" was spelled without the "s." For more information about RCMP's badges and insignia read our Badges and Insignia Fact Sheet.

About the RCMP in Ontario

The “O” Division RCMP is responsible for federal policing in Ontario and has primary law enforcement authority in federal matters. With a focus on Serious and Organized Crime, Financial Crime, and National Security, the “O” Division RCMP is on the water, in the air, and at work across the province towards a safe and secure Canada.

Want to know more about our Federal Policing Services?

Federal Policing Services

The Commanding Officer, senior executive, administrative and support services for RCMP “O” Division (Ontario) operate from Headquarters located in London, Ontario.

On 2017-01-01, “O” Division had a total of 1525 employees represented by 1097 Regular Members (Police), 167 Civilian Members and 261 Public Service employees Our civilian employee’s include support professionals, such as intelligence analysts, forensic specialists, information technology specialists, and other professionals.

The “O” Division operating environment is large and diverse and identified by three geographical areas within Ontario: 

Early History

“O” Division came into existence in 1920 when the Force, which had the title “Royal North West Mounted Police” conferred on it by King Edward VII in 1904, was reorganized into Canada’s federal police force as the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

The Division covered Ontario west of a line between Haileybury in the north and Belleville in the south and consisted of six detachments located at such strategic points as Haileybury, Sault Ste. Marie, Niagara Falls, Windsor, Bridgeburg (now part of Fort Erie) and Sarnia, with a headquarters established in Toronto.

“O” Division HQ, 1921-1036Post Office Building, 6 Charles St. E.
RCMP Offices, Floors 2 and 3
“O” Division HQ, 1921-1936