The 15th National Impaired Driving Enforcement Day initiative in Newfoundland & Labrador was held on Saturday, December 7, 2019. This initiative is part of the RCMP's continued commitment in keeping the province's roads safe. RCMP members across the province conducted numerous sobriety checkpoints to detect and apprehend drivers operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
On December 7, 2019, the RCMP checked 1707 vehicles which resulted in the following:
- Impaired by Alcohol - Criminal Charges: 5
- Impaired by Drug - Criminal Charges: 0
- Road Side / 7 Day Suspensions for Alcohol: 5
- Road Side Suspensions for Drugs: 2
- Alcohol Screening Tests Performed and Passed: 75
- Total Number of Checkpoints: 37
- Violations under the Provincial Cannabis Act: 2
The RCMP will continue with similar initiatives in the coming months as we continue to focus on road safety and harm reduction.