On November 14, 2019, sometime during the evening, Whitbourne RCMP received a call of a missing hunter in the area of Ocean Pond. The hunter, a 24-year-old man from Makinsons, did not return at the time expected.
Whitbourne RCMP, along with Placentia RCMP, the Avalon North Wolverines Search and Rescue and the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre searched for the man who was located safe and sound, early the next morning, despite freezing temperatures.
Outdoor Safety Tips
As the temperature drops and terrain conditions change, the RCMP reminds the public to be prepared.
- Make sure your vehicle is in good working order
- Carry extra fuel
- Familiarize yourself with the area you are travelling through and know the potential hazards
- Check the weather forecast before heading out
- Carry a satellite phone, cell phone or other means of communication
- Inform someone of your travel plans, where you are going, and when you plan to return
- Carry emergency supplies and learn survival skills
- If you become disoriented, try to stay in the same area and not wander.