On September 26, 2018, the Combined Traffic Services (RCMP and Saskatoon Police Service), Canadian Pacific Rail Police, with the assistance of members from Lanigan, Wynyard and Watrous RCMP detachments were completing a check stop on Highway #16 at Lanigan, Saskatchewan.
Around 9:30 a.m. a van was travelling eastbound on Highway #16 was waved into the check stop area. The van entered into the check stop area, but instead of coming to a stop accelerated, jumping over the curb nearly hitting a police officer. The van fled the check stop east bound on Highway #16 at a high rate of speed.
Members at the scene were able to obtain a license plate as the vehicle was fleeing and conducted records checks. Those checks indicated the van was stolen out of Lloydminster, AB.
Police officers initiated a pursuit, but the pursuit was terminated for public safety reasons.
Officers located the vehicle a short time later stuck in a field, still occupied by the driver. The driver, identified as 28-year old Kyle Lang of Nova Scotia, was arrested.
Lang has been remanded in custody until October 10, 2018 to appear in Saskatoon Provincial Court. He has been charged with the following offences:
- Assault Peace Officer 270(2) Criminal Code (CC)
- Possession of Property Obtained by Crime 354(1)(a) CC
- Evade Police 249.1(1) CC
- Possession of Prohibited Weapon 91(3)
- Possession of a weapon for dangerous purpose - 88(2) CC
- Fail to Comply with an undertaking - 145(5.1) CC
- Theft of Motor Vehicle - 333.1(1) CC
- Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle - 249(1)(a) CC
No injuries were reported as a result of this incident.