RCMP officers across the Yukon are reminding citizens that cold temperatures don't stop thieves from going to work. In fact, while many of us are snug as a bug in our beds, thieves are roaming neighbourhoods and checking for unlocked doors and valuables. It's important to remember that it can take less than a minute to get in a vehicle and drive off. Please take steps to secure your vehicle at all times, even during these cold winter months.
Citizens are reminded to:
- Never leave a running vehicle unattended. If your keys must be in the ignition to warm it up, please remain with your vehicle;
- Install a remote starter if possible, however, always make sure the vehicle is locked;
- Never leave children or pets unattended in a running vehicle;
- Remove all valuables from the vehicle, (eg: wallets, purses, loose change, mail, packages, GPS, garage door openers and cell phones);
- If your keys are stolen, immediately change the locks for the keys that have gone missing, including residences and vehicles.