With classes resuming on Thursday, September 7th, RCMP on P.E.I. remind students of their responsibilities. Now, more than ever, attention is key. Remember:
- While waiting for a bus or your designated drive, stand well away from the road in a safe and easy-to-see area
- Don't walk/run between school busses or cars because other people may not see you
- Remember, if you can't see the driver, the driver probably can't see you either
- If you are walking to school, good for you! AND, walk on the sidewalk whenever possible and only cross the road at marked crosswalks or where there are lights/crossing guards
- If there are no sidewalks to use, walk on the left-hand side of the road, facing oncoming traffic and stay as far away from the traffic as possible
- Pay attention, stay alert when crossing the street and watch for traffic EVEN IF you have the right of way
- It's a good idea to wear brightly coloured clothing or something reflective, especially once it starts to get dark earlier, but it's always better to be easy to see
- Biking, skateboarding, roller-blading or using a scooter? Follow the rules of the road and always wear your safety gear. It's law in P.E.I. to wear a helmet.
- Just like drivers, don't be distracted. Pay attention when you are walking - don't text while walking and don't listen to music loud enough that you aren't aware of what's going on around you
AND, most importantly, have a great 2017-2018 school year and have fun, stay safe!