With classes resuming on Thursday, September 7th, RCMP on P.E.I. remind drivers of their responsibilities on the road. Now, more than ever, attention to what is in front of you is key. Remember:
- Familiarize yourself with the school zones in your area and adhere to the posted speed limits
- Remember to SLOW DOWN in school zones and be alert to extra activity during drop off and pick up times
- School busses will be back on the roads and will make frequent stops to pick up and drop off students. When you see flashing amber lights, get ready to stop
- Red lights flashing on a bus means YOU MUST STOP! It is illegal to pass a stopped school bus when red lights are flashing
- Always watch for students at crosswalks and obey the signals of crossing guards and traffic control of any sort
- Pay attention and be aware that neighbourhood streets near schools and in school zones are busy with both vehicles and students.
- Use extra caution as new students can be unpredictable
- Distracted driving is a danger to everyone. Put away your devices, beverages, cosmetics and food while driving. Avoid ALL distractions and focus on the road and traffic
It is impossible to cover every possibility, but use common sense and help children learn good behaviours by being a good example. Throw the cell phone in the trunk and talk over safety tips with your kids. Keep an eye out for young pedestrians and be patient and cautious.