In 2015, police in Canada recorded more than 71,000 reports of missing people. The RCMP has made these cases an operational priority.
Improving how we work
The RCMP developed a National Missing Persons Strategy to strengthen our investigations. It's built on four pillars:
- Demonstrating accountability
- Strong partnerships with other agencies
- Supporting families of missing persons
- Increasing public awareness
The RCMP updated its Missing Persons Policy as part of this Strategy. It includes:
- Completing a "Missing Person Intake and Risk Assessment Form" for all incidents.
- Regular communication with the families of missing people through a set schedule.
- Improved supervisory oversight for missing persons investigations.
- The development of new mandatory missing person training for our members.
- Canadas Missing
- Missing and Murdered Aboriginal Women: A National Operational Overview
- Update to the National Operational Overview
- Human Trafficking National Coordination Center
- Date modified: