Civil Fingerprinting Screening Services
NOTE: After 90 days, the Canadian Criminal Real Time Identification Services destroys fingerprint submissions relative to civil screening (including vulnerable sector checks) when the search process is completed. The fingerprints are not added to the RCMP National Repository of Criminal Records and are not searched for future purposes.
Steps to Follow:
Full set of fingerprints required
- To conduct a criminal record check we require a full set of fingerprints, including both rolled and flat impressions of all ten fingers.
- Complete all fields on the fingerprint form.
- Incomplete forms will be returned to the applicant unprocessed.
If you are IN CANADA :
- you must have your fingerprints taken on form C-216C at your local police station or private accredited fingerprinting agency.
- Depending on the police jurisdiction, a fee may be required.
Electronic Civil Fingerprinting
Electronic processing significantly reduces processing times when there is no match to an RCMP fingerprint holding. Find an authorized police service
If you are OUTSIDE OF CANADA :
contact the nearest police force which offers fingerprinting services. The RCMP will accept fingerprint forms from foreign countries that contain the following:
- rolled and flat impressions of all ten fingers taken with black ink
- full name, date of birth and sex of the applicant
- the name and address of the police agency
- the signature of the official taking the fingerprints
Canadian embassies and consulates may not have adequate resources or facilities to provide this service.
Electronic fingerprint submissions to the RCMP is not currently available outside of Canada. You may contact third party agencies within Canada who will digitize ink fingerprints and submit them electronically to the RCMP. You may search International Fingerprinting Services on the internet. Electronic processing significantly reduces processing times when there is no match to an RCMP fingerprint holding.* See processing time chart * indicated on our web site at: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cr-cj/fing-empr2-eng.htm
Reason for Request
Clearly indicate the reason for your certified criminal record check:
- Adoptions - Canadian and International
- Foreign travel - Visas, U.S. Waivers, Border Crossing
- Employment * - federal, provincial, municipal governments; private industry; Canadian police forces
- Volunteer work *
- Applications for immigration to Canada **
- Applications for Canadian Citizenship
- Applications to obtain criminal record to apply for a Pardon
- Name change
- Permanent residency in foreign countries (all countries except Canada)
* Applicants for employment or volunteer work must specify the job title or position sought in the "REASON FOR APPLICATION" portion of the fingerprint form.
** Applicants for immigration to Canada must enter the name and address of the Canadian Immigration Center, Embassy, Consulate or High Commission handling the case in the "Name and Address of Contributing Agency/Dept" portion of the C216C.
Ensure you provide:
- your full name
- date of birth
- mailing address
- phone number
- and/or fax number
- and/or e-mail address
Do not provide any additional personal information with your request. This material provides no value to the service and will be destroyed.
Identification of police service or fingerprinting agency
Verify the information recorded by the official taking your fingerprints and ensure that the official's name and signature, and the name of the agency is indicated on your fingerprint form.
Final step (checklist) :
Before sending your request, make sure it contains the following:
- original fingerprint form
- full name
- date of birth
- mailing address
- phone number, fax number or email address
- reason for application
- processing fee ( if applicable)
- third party consent letter (if applicable)
Incomplete requests will not be processed and will be returned to you.
Forward Your Request
Forward your request with all relevant documents by mail or courier. Mailing addresses.
Hand-delivered fingerprint submissions will not be accepted by local RCMP offices.
Although fingerprint submission are accepted by courier, civil product results will not be returned by courier. The results are always returned by regular mail.