Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Common menu bar links

FAQ-Making a Complaint

Against an RCMP officer

Any individual wishing to lodge a complaint against an RCMP officer, can do so by attending any RCMP detachment. The detachment commander's duty to ensure complaints from the public are dealt with in a professional manner. Complaints against an RCMP officer can also be lodged by contacting the Civilian Review and Complaints Commission for the RCMP. The Civilian Review and Complaints Commission for the RCMP is an independent agency, created by Parliament, to ensure that complaints made by the public about the conduct of RCMP members are examined fairly and impartially.

Against another police force

You should inform the detachment commander of the particular police force of your detachment with one of their officers rather than present your complaint to the RCMP. The RCMP does not have jurisdiction over local police forces. You may present your complaint in writing if you prefer not to do it in person.

If you still have a question or comment, please contact us by e-mail.