Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Common menu bar links

Firearm Safety Training - Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Do I have to take the Canadian Firearms Safety Course (CFSC) and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course (CRFSC) to acquire a cross-bow?

A. No. There is no licence, registration or safety course requirement to acquire a cross-bow that is longer than 500 mm and that requires the use of both hands. Crossbows that can be aimed and fired with one hand and crossbows with an overall length of 500 mm or less are prohibited. Individuals cannot lawfully possess or acquire a prohibited crossbow.

Q. What is the minimum age requirement to take the CFSC?

A. Under the Firearms Act, individuals aged 12 years or older are eligible to take the CFSC. Children under the age of 12 can take the course, but for educational purposes only and will not complete the written or practical exams. However, to obtain a minors' licence to borrow/use non-restricted firearms, an individual must be between 12 and 17 years of age. To obtain this licence, you will have to successfully complete the CFSC and pass the tests unless:

  • you have already taken the CFSC and passed the tests; or
  • you are applying as a minor sustenance hunter in which case you are not required to take the course and pass the tests. This type of licence has no minimum age. You should contact your Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) to see if you meet the requirements for "sustenance hunter" in your province or territory.

All licences will be subject to conditions, which may include supervision. You and/or your parent or a person who has custody of you will be interviewed by a firearms officer. Your parent or guardian must agree to the conditions under which you may use firearms and must give their consent before a minors' licence will be issued to you.

A minors' licence will not permit you to possess restricted or prohibited firearms, or to acquire (buy, inherit, receive as a gift or take in trade) firearms. You must be 18 years of age or older to acquire and register restricted or prohibited firearms.

Your minors' licence will expire on the earlier of:

  • the day you turn 18 years old, or
  • the expiry date shown on your licence.

If you have a minors' permit now, you may continue to use it until it expires. Check with your CFO for local age requirements.

Q. If I have taken the old CFSC before January 31, 1999, can I apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence?

A. Yes. If you passed the CFSC course and/or tests between January 1, 1994, and January 31, 1999, you can apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence.

Q. If I have taken the old CFSC, will I have to take the new courses?

A. No. Passing the old CFSC qualifies an individual to apply for a Possession and Acquisition Licence.

Q: Where can I take the CFSC or the CRFSC?

A: The responsibility for course delivery rests with each provincial/territorial Chief Firearms Officer (CFO). Find the contact information for your CFO.

Q. How do I go about becoming an instructor of the CFSC and/or the CRFSC?

A. Contact the office of the CFO in your province or territory.

If you have any questions or comments, please contact us.