Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Common menu bar links

Registration of Firearms

Frequently Asked Questions

Canadian Firearms Program

Q. How do I register a restricted firearm?

To register a restricted firearm, a firearms licence is required for that class of firearm. The firearm will also need to be verified by an approved verifier if it has not yet been verified.

If the restricted firearm has never been registered, an online application can be made or a paper application (form RCMP 5624) submitted.

Q. How do I replace a lost, stolen or destroyed registration certificate?

To replace a lost, stolen or damaged registration certificate, a Firearms Documents Replacement Request (form RCMP 5515) should be submitted. Up to four registration certificates can be replaced for a total of $10 if all replacements are requested at the same time.

Q. Can I laminate my paper registration certificates to protect them from wear and tear?


Q. If a restricted firearm is registered to me, how do I get it deregistered from my name if I sell or give it to someone else?

If a restricted or prohibited firearm is sold or given to a business or individual in Canada, the firearm will be registered to the new owner as part of the transfer process that must take place when a restricted or prohibited firearm changes owners.

Q. How do I de-register a restricted or prohibited firearm that I have exported to another country?

To deregister a restricted or prohibited firearm that is no longer in Canada, a written notice should be sent to the Canadian Firearms Program, Box 1200, Miramichi, NB E1N 5Z3. With the notice, the following should be included:

  • the full name and firearms licence number,
  • the registration certificate number and firearms identification number of the restricted or prohibited firearm, as indicated on the registration certificate, and
  • proof that the firearm is no longer in Canada (for example, a photocopy of an import document from the other country).

Please note that an export permit may be required to take or send a firearm to another country. For more information and to obtain an application form, the Export Controls Division of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade may be contacted at 1-800-267-8376 or 613-944-4000, or send a fax to 613-996-9709.

Q. Do air guns have to be registered?

Air guns need to be registered if they have both a high muzzle velocity (greater than 152.4 meters or 500 feet per second) and a high muzzle energy (greater than 5.7 joules or 4.2 foot-pounds). As a rule, the manufacturer’s specifications are used to determine what muzzle velocity and muzzle energy an air gun was designed to have. This information may be found in the user’s manual or on the manufacturer’s web site.

More information on air guns can be found in the air gun fact sheet. Individuals and businesses with questions about a particular air gun may call the Canadian Firearms Program at 1-800-731-4000 for assistance.

Q. I always carry a flare gun in my boat/vehicle for emergencies. Do I need a licence and does it have to be registered?

Flare guns and other devices designed exclusively for signalling or notifying of distress, and intended to be used exclusively for that purpose by the person in possession of it, are not classified as firearms for purposes of the Firearms Act. A licence is not required to possess one, and it does not have to be registered. These devices are classified as firearms for purposes of the Criminal Code if they are used to commit a crime.

(Note: A few flare guns have been designed using the frame or receiver of a real handgun, and may require registration as such. The Canadian Firearms Program should be contacted for more information.)

Q. Do the licence and registration requirements apply to conversion kits?

It depends on what is in the conversion kit. If the kit contains a frame or receiver for a restricted or prohibited firearm, a licence to possess it is required and it has to be registered. A licence or registration certificate is not needed if the kit simply contains parts, such as a barrel, unless the barrel is also a receiver – for example, the barrel of a percussion-cap muzzle-loader. For more information, the Canadian Firearms Program may be contacted at 1-800-731-4000.

Q. I have an old firearm that doesn’t work. Do I need to register it?

As a general rule, a licence is required to possess firearms and they must be registered if restricted or prohibited,  unless the firearm meets the definition of an antique or it is permanently deactivated and incapable of discharging projectiles. It may have to be examined by a forensic expert at the RCMP to determine whether it is permanently incapable of discharging projectiles. For more information, the Canadian Firearms Program may be contacted at 1-800-731-4000.

Q. Can firearms be registered to an organization such as a war veterans’ legion?

Organizations that possess firearms are treated as firearm businesses for the purposes of the Firearms Act. They need to get a Firearms Business Licence before they can register their firearms.

Q. If I make a firearm or assemble one from a kit, at what point do I have to register it?

The requirements can vary depending on the type of firearm being assembled or made. Firearms that meet the definition of an antique, including matchlock, wheel lock or flint lock long guns, do not have to be registered. In all other cases, if a frame or receiver for a restricted or prohibited firearm is included in the kit, it must be registered. For more guidance, a firearms technician at the Canadian Firearms Program may be contacted at 1-800-731-4000.