Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Common menu bar links

Shooting Ranges/Businesses

Frequently Asked Questions

Canadian Firearms Program

Q. What do I need to do if I want to set up a place on my property for target shooting?

Check with your municipality to see if firearms can lawfully be discharged in your area. Also check with the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of your province or territory to find out if the place where you will be target shooting needs to be approved under the Shooting Clubs and Shooting Ranges Regulations. Even if your range does not need approval, you may wish to consult with your CFO for advice on how to make your range safe to ensure that projectiles do not stray onto neighbouring property and that there are adequate warning systems in place to warn people they are entering an area where shooting activities are taking place.

Q. I am thinking of starting a firearms business. What do I need to do?

The fact sheet for firearms businesses provides basic information. To get additional information and an application form, please contact the Chief Firearms Officer (CFO) of your province.